The Digna Ochoa Human Rights Center denounced that on October 2nd, the domicile of human rights defender Guadalupe Nuñez Salazar, Councilor of the Indigenous Council of Government, was raided.
The doors and veneers of the house, located on Calle 1º de Mayo No. 73 in the Colonia Evolucion in the city of Tonala, Chiapas, “were not forced, the subjects entered through the back of the house, until arriving at the room of Mrs. Guadalupe where they only took away a cell phone, Lanix brand, a TV, and her wallet containing the amount of $MXN 1500.00 as well as her personal ID.”
The Digna Ochoa Center also reported that the PGR Criminal Investigation Agents carried out acts of intimidation and harassment against their members on October 4th when they returned, after having toured three communities affected by the September 7th earthquake in Tonala. “A white Tacoma pickup with no plates blocked the way, three armed men came down and asked them to get out of the vehicle, when they did, the uniformed subjects began to take pictures and videos.” According to a bulletin from the Digna Ochoa Center, of PGR gave different reasons for the detention, the first was “that they had received a complaint stating that an organization was asking for money in exchange for providing food and that they were investigating” and the second “in Paredon there was a young man who had been arrested for automobile theft, stating that since we are new, they did not know how to proceed because the boy was asking for support regarding his rights, as we were told at the checkpoint that you were human rights [defenders], we stopped them and asked them.”
The Digna Ochoa Center. expressed its concern about the acts of robbery, search, harassment, intimidation and “demands the Mexican State and the Government of Chiapas:
– End all acts of threat, intimidation, harassment against Mrs. Guadalupe Nuñez, Councilor of the Indigenous Council of Government on the Coast of Chiapas.
-It will guarantee her physical integrity and her life as well as that of her family before any present or future situation.
– Investigate and punish those responsible for the search and theft of objects against Mrs. Guadalupe Nuñez.
– Investigate and punish the behavior of the three elements of the Criminal Investigation Agency attached to the PGR in Chiapas.
– Take the necessary measures to ensure the full exercise of their human rights in the framework of the political proposal of the Indigenous Congress of Government and to support the people affected by the earthquake on the coast of Chiapas.
– Stop all acts of intimidation and harassment against members of the Center for Human Rights by public officials, especially police bodies.”
For more information in Spanish:
Acción Urgente: Allanamiento y Robo en casa de Concejal del Concejo Indígena de Gobierno en la Costa de Chiapas #CIG #CNI (Centro de Medios Libres, 3 de octubre de 2017)
Pronunciamiento del CNI por el allanamiento y robo a la concejala de la Costa de Chiapas (Congreso Nacional Indígena, 4 de octubre de 2017)
Agentes de Investigación Criminal de PGR realizan actos de intimidación y hostigamiento a integrantes del Centro de Derechos Humanos Digna Ochoa. (Centro de Derechos Humanos Digna Ochoa AC, 6 de octubre de 2017)
Pronunciamiento en solidaridad por el allanamiento y robo de Guadalupe Nuñez, concejala del Concejo Indígena de Gobierno (Centro de Derechos Humanos Digna Ochoa AC, 3 de octubre 2017)