Oaxaca/Guerrero: Gun Attack on Nochixtlan Victims’ Bus

August 1, 2017

NochixtlanThe attack happened in the early hours of Wednesday. Photo: @Victims Committee for Justice and Truth, June 19th, Nochixtlan

In the early hours of July 26th on a section of the Nochixtlan-Coixtlahuaca road, the bus carrying members of the Committee of Victims for Justice and Truth, June 19th Nochixtlan (Covic in its Spanish acronym), as well as teachers of Section 22 of the National Coordinator of Education Workers (CNTE), was attacked.

The Bus and its passengers was headed to Mexico City to participate in the commemorative march for the 34 months of the disappearance of 43 students of the Normal Rural School Raul Isidro Burgos, Ayotzinapa, Guerrero.

According to La Jornada newspaper, Covic leader Santiago Ambrosio said: “When they were traveling on the Oaxaca-Mexico highway, on the Nochixtlan-Coixtlahuaca section, a vehicle drove alongside the truck and several individuals started shooting at them. He said that the shots were aimed at the middle of the unit where the teachers and the Covic leaders were traveling and said that the attackers fired at them with the intention of hurting them, as the bullets struck the windows.”

He said: “There were also shots to the front of the truck and the driver was grazed by a bullet in the forehead, which forced them to cancel the participation of the victims of Nochixtlan in the mobilization for the 43 disappeared students of Ayotzinapa, as although there were no injuries, several suffered from nerves because of what happened.”

Covic was created to clarify what happened during the violent eviction on June 19th, 2016, when Federal and state police officers attacked parents and teachers of Section 22 of the National Union of Education Workers blocking the Huajuapan de Leon-Oaxaca road, near Nochixtlan, in repudiation of the educational reform, an operation in which eight people died and 108 were injured.

 For more information in Spanish:

Balean en Oaxaca un autobús donde iban líderes de Nochixtlán y la CNTE (La Jornada, a 27 de julio de 2017)

Balean autobús de víctimas de Nochixtlán (Plumas Atomicas, a 26 de julio de 2017)

Agresión contra integrantes del Covic que se dirigían a marcha por Ayotzinapa (Surco Informativo a, 26 de julio de 2017)

 For more information from SIPAZ:

Oaxaca: Persisten agresiones y hostigamientos hacia víctimas de Nochixtlán

Oaxaca: Comité de Víctimas de Nochixtlán denuncia “intento de homicidio” contra dos de sus integrantes

Oaxaca/ Nacional: La CNTE y la Segob acuerdan mesas de negociación

Advertisements

Chiapas: 44 Secondary Schoolteachers Arrested in Tuxtla during Eviction of Sit-in

July 15, 2017

TuxtlaEviction of teachers in Tuxtla Photo: @Proceso

On July 11th at 3 am, the eviction of the Second Technical School Teachers that had been in the city of Tuxtla since July 3rd took place.

According to Proceso magazine, “Among their demands is the rejection of structural reforms in general and in particular the educational reform – which they say, is labor, arrears since 2013 and also demand the chain of changes according to the method of Level of Technical High Schools.”

During the operation, 44 teachers, 34 men and ten women were arrested and according to Manuel de Jesus Mendoza Vazquez, substitute general secretary of Section 7 of the National Union of Workers of Education (SNTE in its Spanish acronym) “State police evicted teachers from secondary technical schools who for a week had held a sit-in in the center of Tuxtla Gutierrez to demand the payment of 150 million pesos to teachers of that level.” The teachers were transferred to the facilities of the Center of Investigation and Restorative Justice Unit of the state capital.

He stated that: “The Public Prosecutor’s Office, Ministry of Public Security and Protection, Municipal Public Security Secretariat, State Commission for Human Rights, Municipal Civil Protection and a Public Notary participated in the event.”

In turn, the State Attorney General explained that, “with the eviction the right of citizens to free transit was recovered. The protestors had installed tents and vehicles across the street, preventing free vehicular traffic and thousands of citizens who daily go to this area of ​​the city to carry out paperwork or purchases. “

It is noteworthy that according to statements to the newspaper La Jornada, Alejandro Ovando Rodriguez, secretary for labor and conflict of the technical secondary schools of the National Coordinator of Education Workers, said “that the teachers marched again in Tuxtla Gutierrez and they located at the State Secretariat of Education to meet their demands. The authorities owe about 150 million pesos to half of the 5,230 workers of that level in the state.”

For more information in Spanish:

Desalojan plantón de maestros en Tuxtla Gutiérrez, Chiapas, y detienen a 44 (Revista Proceso 11 de julio de 2017)

Detienen en Chiapas a 44 maestros de secundaria en protesta (La Jornada 11 de julio de 2017)

For more information from SIPAZ:

Chiapas: Desalojo violento hacia el plantón de maestros y maestras en San Cristóbal de Las Casas

Nacional: Desalojos violentos de los plantones de protesta de la Coordinadora Nacional de Trabajadores de la Educación (CNTE)

Chiapas : El Pueblo Creyente peregrinó en Tuxtla en apoyo a las y los maestros


National: Federal Police Announce Protocol for Use of Force

June 25, 2017

Policia federal.pngManelich Castilla Craviotto (@Primera Plana Noticias)

On June 14th, the Federal Police (FP) announced that it is preparing the publication of the first protocol on the use of force, in order to establish standards for training and protection of human rights during operations carried out by members of security forces.

Among others, it will be defined when the police can use the tests of physical control and those situations in which it is necessary to use defensive tactics, to reduce the use of firearms exclusively to when the life of a citizen or of a member of the forces is at risk and also to indicate in which cases it is indispensable to support the operations with video and photographs.

 Regarding the protocol, the Commissioner General of the Federal Police, Manelich Castilla Craviotto, explained that “it is a question of providing a normative framework that gives trust and legal certainty to all of those who risk their life in the street, their physical integrity and who on many occasions did not have a mechanism to defend their actions in dangerous circumstances.”

This announcement came a year after the repression of Nochixtlan, Oaxaca, in which nine people died. On June 20, 2016, one day after the events, the Federal Police and the State Police of that state gave a press conference to present the official version of the facts and assured that the agents were not armed. It was also ruled out that they were the first to shoot against the civilians. However witnesses and even federal police officers who participated in the operation gave testimonies which differed from those offered by the police commanders. In addition, no police involved have been investigated or punished to date, Animal Politico revealed.

 For more information in Spanish:

Policía Federal anuncia protocolo para uso de la fuerza pública (Crónico, 14 de junio de 2017)

A un año de Nochixtlán, Policía Federal anuncia protocolo para uso de la fuerza pública (Animal Político, 14 de junio de 2017)

Policia federal alista protocolo sobre uso de la fuerza (Milenio, 14 de junio de 2017)

Manelich Castilla Craviotto: Primer protocolo sobre el uso de la fuerza pública (Heraldo de México, 14 de junio de 2017)

La PF pondrá en marcha protocolo sobre el uso de la fuerza (Proceso, 14 de Junio de 2017)

 For more information from SIPAZ:

Chiapas: Congreso local aprueba iniciativa sobre el “uso legítimo de la fuerza”(16 de mayo de 2014)

Nacional: Creación del Frente por la Libertad de Expresión y Protesta Social (12 de abril de 2014)

Oaxaca: Comité de Víctimas de Nochixtlán denuncia “intento de homicidio” contra dos de sus integrantes (7 de marzo de 2017)

Oaxaca: Organizaciones de Derechos Humanos presentan informe sobre represión en Nochixtlán (11 de julio de 2016)

Oaxaca/Nacional: Allanan casa de fotoperiodista que cubrió hechos en Nochixtlán (4 de septiembre de 2016)

BOLETÍN URGENTE: REPRESIÓN MAGISTERIAL EN OAXACA (22 de junio de 2016)


Oaxaca: Threats and Harassments Continue against Nochixtlan Victims

May 3, 2017

Nochixtlan.pngArturo Peimbert Calvo (@DDPHO)

Arturo Peimbert Calvo, head of the Oaxaca People’s Human Rights Ombudsman, reported that on April 17th, while he was in the vicinity of the municipality of Nochixtlan, he was wounded and, upon leaving, he was shot at from long distance with bullets shots to the trunk and a door of the vehicle.

He pointed out that ten months after repressive events at Nochixtlán, “the lack of progress in the investigation favors impunity, and encourages aggression against the victims, relatives of deceased persons and their defenders, which is why it is necessary to highlight the delay with which the authorities are acting to initiate the investigations.” He added that “a case in which there are approximately 100 people with bullet wounds and eight people dead, must be investigated promptly due to its magnitude.”

He expressed his concern “due to the recent attacks on the victims and their representatives, for example, the one perpetrated against the teacher Santiago Ambrosio Hernandez, who on March 5th suffered an attack in which he was injured with a bullet shot to the leg.” For the same reason, he informed that protection measures were requested for those who demand justice in the case.

It should be recalled that in Nochixtlan, on June 19th, an eviction was carried out by federal police against residents and teachers of Section 22 of the National Coordinator of Education Workers (CNTE), which left eight dead and more than 100 injured.

For more information in Spanish:

Denuncian que persisten las agresiones contra víctimas del desalojo en Nochixtlán (La Jornada, 20 de abril de 2017)

Agreden a ombudsman de caso Nochixtlán; resulta ileso (SDP Noticias, 19 de abril de 2017)

Disparan contra camioneta de Arturo Peimbert , presidente de la DDHPO (Red Capital, 18 de abril de 2017)

Agresiones y hostigamiento a víctimas de Nochixtlán continuán a diez meses de la tragedia (Boletín completo, DDHPO, 18 de abril de 2017)

For more information from SIPAZ :

Oaxaca: Comité de Víctimas de Nochixtlán denuncia “intento de homicidio” contra dos de sus integrantes (7 de marzo de 2017)

Oaxaca: Organizaciones de Derechos Humanos presentan informe sobre represión en Nochixtlán (11 de julio de 2016)

Oaxaca/Nacional: Allanan casa de fotoperiodista que cubrió hechos en Nochixtlán (4 de septiembre de 2016)

BOLETÍN URGENTE: REPRESIÓN MAGISTERIAL EN OAXACA (22 de junio de 2016


Chiapas: Hunger Strike by Eight Nurses Continues in Chiapas

April 13, 2017

Nurses.png(Photo@Alerta Chiapas)

On April 10th, five of eight fasting nurses completed eight days on hunger strike, and for the second consecutive day they were gagged in order to avoid drinking liquids for ten hours as part of their protest outside Rafael Pascacio Gamboa Hospital in Tuxtla Gutierrez. This protest seeks to obtain medical supplies and medicines for the more than one thousand health centers in the state, the reinstatement of several workers unfairly dismissed and the payment of quotas for pensions, insurance, savings fund, housing, etc. This quota was paid by the workers on a monthly basis (a total of 782 million pesos).

On the same day, members of the National Assembly of Social Organizations-Teachers’ and Popular Movement, attended by teachers of the National Coordinator of Education Workers (CNTE), marched in Tuxtla to the outskirts of the Hospital and expressed their support for the struggle of workers in the health sector. Dozens of civil organizations have also expressed their support.

For his part, the Secretary of Government of Chiapas, Juan Carlos Gomez Aranda, said that through dialogue “the three original petitions have been resolved”: immediate resettlement in their jobs of people dismissed, supply of medicines and payment of Labor benefits. He added that, “the resignation of the director and the administrator of the Regional Hospital was requested in lieu of the complaints raised, so in the spirit of honouring the agreements to lift the hunger strike and not put at the health of nurses risk, the state government accepted this approach.” However, he added that “once this additional point was overcome, the negotiation table was again conditioned with the dismissal of the Secretary of Health (Francisco Ortega Farrera), which does not correspond to the original or subsequent demands of the nurses who are still fasting at the Regional Hospital.” Gomez Aranda said that “new requests are expected to be channeled through negotiation and that they should return as soon as possible with their families and their daily activities.”

The Fray Bartolome de Las Casas Center for Human Rights (FRAYBA) accepted the request of the strikers to accompany them in the process of negotiation with the state government.

For more information in Spanish:

Acción Urgente del Centro de Derechos Humanos de la Mujer de Chiapas (6 de abril de 2017) – Firma en línea

Se amordazan enfermeras en ayuno en Chiapas (La Jornada, 10 de abril de 2017)

ONG brindan respaldo a enfermeras en huelga de hambre en Chiapas (Proceso, 10 de abril de 2017)

Gobierno de Chiapas responde a demandas de las enfermeras en huelga de hambre (La Jornada, 10 de abril de 2017)

Emiten medida precautoria para garantizar salud de enfermeras en huelga de hambre (Proceso, 6 de abril de 2016)

Enfermeras de Chiapas en huelga de hambre acusan “arrogancia” de autoridades estatales (Proceso, 5 de abril de 2016)

For more information from SIPAZ:

Chiapas : Cinco enfermeras inician huelga de hambre en Tuxtla Gutiérrez (3 de abril de 2017)

Chiapas/México: Sector salud entra en paro contra las reformas del sector salud, la falta de medicamentos y equipo (22 de junio de 2016)


Oaxaca: Nochixtlan Victims’ Committee Denounces “Murder Attempt” against Two Members

March 11, 2017

Teachers.pngVictims’ Committee Communiqué

On March 6, the president of the Victims’ Committee for Justice and Truth June 19 of Nochixtlan (COVIC in its Spanish acronym), denounced “a murder attempt” against its president, the teacher Santiago Ambrosio Hernandez “committed Sunday, when he was travelling with with teacher Felipe Montesinos Sanchez” in a private vehicle from Asuncion Nochixtlan to Apoala. The teacher and president of the COVIC said that “in the middle of the journey somebody fired at the car where he was traveling as a co-driver (…) the six bullets struck the passenger door and the right windshield, and one of them hit him on the right leg.” The president of COVIC demanded that, “reprisals stop against of the members of the committee for their demand for the punishment to those responsible for the failed operation on June 19 in Nochixtlan.”

Section 22 of the CNTE blamed “the State directly for the attempted murder.” They also demanded from the State and Federal Government security guarantees for victims and relatives “who, for several days, are being harassed and persecuted by policemen dressed as civilians.” They also warned that “this Democratic Movement of Education Workers of Oaxaca (MDTEO) will take decisive action if it does not get justice for the fallen, victims and relatives, as well as security guarantees.”

It should be remembered that on June 19, 2016, police elements violently suppressed teachers, and organized civil society in rejection of the educational reform bill of the government of Enrique Peña Nieto (2013). These events caused the death of seven people by firearm and another one that died as a result of an explosion; at least 226 civilians were injured. For its part, the Federal Police reported 73 injured elements.

 For more information in Spanish:

Denuncia Comité de Víctimas de Nochixtlán atentado contra dos de sus integrantes (EDUCA, 7 de marzo de 2017)

Comunicado de prensa de la COVIC (Comunicado de la COVIC, 6 de marzo de 2017)

ESTADO: EL RESPONSABLE DEL ATENTADO CONTRA LA COVIC (Comunicado de la Sección 22)

INFORME DE VIOLACIONES A DERECHOS HUMANOS: Operativo “Oaxaca”, 19 de junio Nochixtlán, Huitzo, Telixtlahuaca, Hacienda Blanca y Viguera (Informe)

For more information from SIPAZ:

BOLETÍN URGENTE: REPRESIÓN MAGISTERIAL EN OAXACA (22 de junio de 2016)

Oaxaca: Organizaciones de Derechos Humanos presentan informe sobre represión en Nochixtlán (11 de julio de 2016)

 


Oaxaca: Teacher Antonio Santiago Gonzalez Murdered

February 26, 2017

Teacher.pngThe murdered teacher inside his car. Photo @NSS Oaxaca

On February 17, the teacher Antonio Santiago Gonzalez, 59, was assassinated, regional representative of Putla Villa de Guerrero, of indigenous level in the coastal region of Oaxaca.

Law enforcement officials reported that the teacher, who was a member of Section 22 of the National Coordinator of Education Workers (CNTE), was gunned down while traveling in his car by an armed group, who attacked him at kilometer 121, before arriving to the town of Carrizal Copala, Oaxaca.

Wilber Santiago, spokesperson for Section 22, reported that the legal team of this group is accompanying the family of his partner for a quick response from the authorities.

Santiago said: “We demand that the Attorney General’s Office give results quickly, because so far nothing is known of what happened or the reason why they killed our compañero, who was a great leader both in classrooms and in the context of the internal politics of our leadership.”

He also stated: “We demand a halt to the executions. Section 22 fights for quality education in Oaxaca, and that has caused a lot of disturbance. We disapprove of the structural reforms because they affect the social life of the country, we do not want any more deaths. “

 For more information in Spanish:

Asesinan a un dirigente de la Sección 22 en Oaxaca (La Jornada, a 18 de febrero de 2017)

Pistoleros asesinan a maestro oaxaqueño de la CNTE, Antonio Santiago González (La Jornada, a 19 de febrero de 2017)

Asesinan a balazos a representante regional de la Sección 22 en Oaxaca (Proceso, a 18 de febrero de 2017)

 For more information from SIPAZ:

Oaxaca : Toma posesión Alejandro Murat Hinojosa como gobernador

Oaxaca: Tras 7 años, la Sección 22 volvió a recordar el 25 de noviembre