Oaxaca: Teacher Antonio Santiago Gonzalez Murdered

February 26, 2017

Teacher.pngThe murdered teacher inside his car. Photo @NSS Oaxaca

On February 17, the teacher Antonio Santiago Gonzalez, 59, was assassinated, regional representative of Putla Villa de Guerrero, of indigenous level in the coastal region of Oaxaca.

Law enforcement officials reported that the teacher, who was a member of Section 22 of the National Coordinator of Education Workers (CNTE), was gunned down while traveling in his car by an armed group, who attacked him at kilometer 121, before arriving to the town of Carrizal Copala, Oaxaca.

Wilber Santiago, spokesperson for Section 22, reported that the legal team of this group is accompanying the family of his partner for a quick response from the authorities.

Santiago said: “We demand that the Attorney General’s Office give results quickly, because so far nothing is known of what happened or the reason why they killed our compañero, who was a great leader both in classrooms and in the context of the internal politics of our leadership.”

He also stated: “We demand a halt to the executions. Section 22 fights for quality education in Oaxaca, and that has caused a lot of disturbance. We disapprove of the structural reforms because they affect the social life of the country, we do not want any more deaths. “

 For more information in Spanish:

Asesinan a un dirigente de la Sección 22 en Oaxaca (La Jornada, a 18 de febrero de 2017)

Pistoleros asesinan a maestro oaxaqueño de la CNTE, Antonio Santiago González (La Jornada, a 19 de febrero de 2017)

Asesinan a balazos a representante regional de la Sección 22 en Oaxaca (Proceso, a 18 de febrero de 2017)

 For more information from SIPAZ:

Oaxaca : Toma posesión Alejandro Murat Hinojosa como gobernador

Oaxaca: Tras 7 años, la Sección 22 volvió a recordar el 25 de noviembre

 


Chiapas: Tila Ejido Denounces Attempt to Kidnap Commissary

February 26, 2017

Tila.pngAnniversary of Tila Ejido on October 16, 2014

On February 6, Tila Ejido published a communiqué denouncing: “a group of inhabitants of the Cantioc community annex organized by members of the green party and the city council attempted to kidnap the President of the Ejidal Commissariat, coming to his house at dawn this Monday, February 6, after midnight to take him in that community another new attempt to provoke a conflict to strike our ejidal autonomy” (sic).

It was previously reported that on January 26, the machinery of a government project was brought into Cantioc community, which is part of the Tila ejido, and they began to work. Because of that, the authorities began to mobilize and found the “agricultural engineer Carlos Domingo Sanchez Martinez who is in charge of these jobs and who is an inhabitant of Cantioc and leader of the Green Ecologist Party who was in his Nissan pickup accompanied by three trucks full of people who were looking after them.” When the engineer and his companions realized that more trucks were coming from the ejido they began to flee, he didn’t manage to escape but his companions did. The engineer was detained for violating the agreement of the general assembly, so he began to argue and accuse the “ejido commissary that he was taken before the ejidal commissary to say his words in front of the assembly.”

To inform him well, they called a new assembly where they shared the agreements they took on May 15 and July 3, 2016, which say “not to enter more of these programs and projects in the annexes and neighborhoods, according to their right to self-determination in constitutional articles 1, 2, 27, articles 21, 22, 23, 31, 32,33 of the agrarian law and as a right of indigenous peoples.” After this assembly the engineer signed the Act and “In agreement that they did not process to make any claim against the commissariat  that was what they expressed before the assembly and all the assembly members who were present are witnesses.” This is what the Act says and it also says that, “furthermore, if there is a paramilitary threat with the representatives of the annexes, they will also be immediately responsible for all acts that may happen, as we know these green party ecologist people are those who were hooded in the campaigns” (sic).

But instead of honoring his word in front of the assembly, on Sunday, February 5, at night, they tried to kidnap the ejido commissary. As they failed to do so, on Monday, February 6, the engineer and his group organized a demonstration in Yajalon to denounce the alleged kidnapping and physical and psychological assaults by the ejido authorities and falsely saying in their document: “that the commissariat came with ski masks, firearms, sticks and machetes”, and also saying that one of the detainees is in ill health for which they demand economic support and government action against the ejido authorities.

Tila ejido denounces:

FIRST; That by the will of our maximum authority general assembly, it determined that the entrance of all government personnel and their projects is forbidden, more so in secret, so that they will be presented to the seat of the ejido to determine its sanction.

SECOND; We hold the previously mentioned political actors responsible, C. Edgar Leopoldo as the main operator, their leaders the former president of Tila and now local deputy, Sandra Luz Cruz Espinosa, and her husband Limberg Gregorio Gutierrez and the Government of the State that propels them to violence against the ejido and Tila Ejido ejidatarios. It is their paramilitary and criminal way that they use violence, conflicts and confrontations to control the people and govern it and for that reason they want to end our ejido autonomy.

THIRD; As always they try to spread false accusations against the ejido authorities in the official media that are paid to spread their false versions and justify the repression because they were not attacked nor they were mistreated but they are aggressive and for this reason they were stopped and taken to the seat of the ejido to present them before the Assembly for their nonconformity.

FOURTH; That we will continue to build our ejido autonomy and self-government because the assembly so determines that it is the best way to live more quietly without this bad government that repressed and dispossessed us. WE DEMAND that the different levels of government leave us alone to build IN PEACE our self-determination as a Chol people.

 For more information in Spanish:

Ejido Tila Chiapas, culpa a partido verde por intento de secuestro (Pozol Colectivo, a 7 de febrero 2017)

 For more information from SIPAZ:

Chiapas : Primer aniversario de autonomía y auto gobierno del ejido ch’ol de Tila

Chiapas: Denuncia de las y los ejidatarios de Tila

Chiapas : Ejido Tila denuncia asesinato violento de dos jóvenes en sus territorios, situación que pretende desestabilizar sus reivindicaciones autónomas, consideran.


Chiapas: Statement from the Tila Ejidatarios

December 14, 2016

Tila.pngPress Conference in San Cristobal de las Casas Photo @Sipaz

In a public complaint issued on November 24, the Tila ejidatarios, adherents to the Sixth Declaration of the Lacandon Jungle, announced the threats and intimidation that they continue to suffer. They especially noted the intimidation suffered by an ejidatario on November 22 and the threats received by the parish priest of Tila, Heriberto Cruz Vera, despite the fact that “he has nothing to do with the struggle of the ejido.” It denounces a “minority group of approx. 150 people (…) throwing stones intimidating the passers-by and a string of insults against the ejidatarios.” In their statement, the ejidatarios state their nonviolent position by clarifying that they are opting for “peace and tranquility.”

They conclude their statement warning “non-governmental social organizations to be aware of what will happen in Tila ejido” and blaming “the government of the state of Chiapas, the state congress, the public registry of property and municipal council of being responsible for deceiving people for an alleged legal fund violating Article 74 of the agrarian legislation in trying to modify the definitive plan of the ejido being unconstitutional.”

 

 

 


Chiapas/Mexico: CNI and EZLN Denounce Attacks during the Indigenous Consultation

December 14, 2016

CNI.pngPhoto@SIPAZ

Members of the National Indigenous Congress (CNI) and the Zapatista Army of National Liberation (EZLN) denounced in a communiqué on December 2 numerous acts of aggression and harassment of participants in their fifth Congress during the consultation they have been conducting. “The fear of the powerful, the extractive companies, the military, the narco-paramilitaries is such that our consultation is being attacked and harassed where our peoples are gathering to discuss and decide the steps to follow as the CNI “.

 They specifically denounced:

 “-In the Nahua indigenous community of Santa María Ostula, Michoacán, the narco-paramilitary harassment by the Templar Knights cartel has intensified, and through a paper signed on November 19, 2016, the same date on which a regional assembly discussed on the Michoacan coast the resolutions of the first stage of the V CNI, they threatened to do a “clean up” of those who participate in demonstrations together with the community police commanders.

 – That compañeros who, by agreement of the assembly of the V CNI in October 2016, have moved through different geographies of the country where the original peoples have wanted to dialogue with delegates of other peoples regarding our political proposal, have been victims of aggression and harassment by criminal gangs or by unknown persons, such as the burning of homes in their places of origin, or attacks on other vehicles to try to remove them from the roads where they need to travel.

 – That while foreign companies intend to seize 12 oil wells in the northern Zoque territory of Chiapas, on November 23, 2016, a group of armed men pretending to be government teachers and with the consent of the Undersecretary of Federated Education of Chiapas, Eduardo Campos Martinez and the chief, Delfino Alegria Garcia, abducted a group of indigenous teachers from the National Coordinator of Education Workers (CNTE) in the northern area of Chiapas, and attacked them with high-powered weapons. Outside the office of the Secretary of Education in the municipality of Ixtacomitán, Chiapas. The attack resulted in the loss of life of Professor Zoque Roberto Diaz Aguilar, originally from Chapultenango, Chiapas and three other people were injured.

 – That the teacher Irineo Salmerón Dircio, Coordinator of the House of Justice in San Luis Acatlan and member of the Regional Coordinator of Community Authorities (CRAC-PC) was abducted – disappeared by an armed group in the municipality of Tixtla, Guerrero; and two days later his dead body was found in the municipality of Chilapa, Guerrero, a few days after in that same municipality at least 15 communities of the Indigenous and Popular Council of Guerrero – Emiliano Zapata held an assembly as part of the consultation in which we are participating.”

 For more information in Spanish:

 EZLN denuncia agresiones durante consulta indígena, La Jornada, 2 de diciembre de 2016

A pesar de agresiones contra pueblos indígenas la consulta va, anuncian EZLN y CNI, Radio Formula, 2 de diciembre de 2016

For more information from SIPAZ:

Chiapas/Nacional : Nuevo comunicado del EZLN aclara propuesta conjunta con el CNI (25/11/2016)

Chiapas/Nacional : Candidata presidencial “no es decisión de una persona” (Subcomandante Moíses) (15 de noviembre de 2016)

Chiapas /Nacional: Polémica después de la propuesta planteada por el EZLN y el CNI en octubre (24 de octubre de 2016)

Chiapas / Nacional : CNI y EZLN realizarán consulta para nombrar a una candidata indígena hacia las elecciones presidenciales de 2018 (15 de octubre de 2016)

 


Chiapas: Threats to Simojovel Parishioners

November 17, 2016

puebloMarcelo Perez (Photo@ Red TdT)

On November 4, Simojovel Believing Peoples released a statement announcing the renewal of threats and attacks against the priest Marcelo Perez Perez.

“As community human rights defenders, we also affirm, if anything happens to any member of Believing Peoples, especially the threatened women and their children or our parish priest Marcelo Perez, those immediately responsible will be Ramiro Gomez Dominguez, Juan Gomez Dominguez And Cleopatra Flores del Carpio, in complicity with the State for protecting the Gomez Dominguez brothers,” they argue.

In the statement they say that on November 9, Gilberto Martinez Lara, 52, was kidnapped and found dead before midday.

They point out that on when Juan Gomez was released from prison on January 19 last, gunshots in the neighborhoods increased and “on November 4 and 5 Juan Gomez Dominguez was in Simojovel and five days after Juan Gómez’s visit, the kidnapping and murder of Gilberto Martínez Lara occurred.”

Furthermore, they specify that on November 2, around 12:30 pm, in the middle of the celebration of the mass in the municipal cemetery of Simojovel de Allende, members of the Believing Peoples who were there realized that three people were photographing and recording the priest and his companions.

“Based on this fact and feeling harassed, a member of Believing Peoples approached and questioned one of them saying why do they follow us and take pictures of us? (sic). This person responding nervously: ‘We provide protection on behalf of the Attorney General’s Office and the photographs are to verify our work.'”

“We do not know if these people really are from the government or are from organized crime; in view of the risk situation in which we live, we don’t trust suspicious actions and if these people were from the Attorney General’s Office, as we have said, they are responsible for the impunity, violence and the freedom of the Gomez Dominguez brothers,” they conclude.

For more information in Spanish:

Se reactivan ataques en contra del Pueblo Creyente y del padre Marcelo Pérez en Simojovel, Chiapas Denuncia, 11 de noviembre de 2016

Reviven amenazas contra el párroco Marcelo Pérez, El Heraldo de Chiapas, 12 de noviembre de 2016

For more information from SIPAZ:

Chiapas: Realizaron marcha en Simojovel en respuesta a los ataques violentos de la semana pasada, 12 de mayo de 2016

Chiapas: Pueblo Creyente de Simojovel rechaza diálogo con los hermanos Gómez (22 de marzo de 2016)

Chiapas: Pueblo Creyente de Simojovel sigue en defensa por la “vida, paz, justicia, libertad y democracia” (13 de noviembre de 2015)

Chiapas: Gritos de libertad en el Pueblo Creyente de Simojovel (23 de septiembre de 2015)


Chiapas: Commemoration of 20 Years of Crimes against Humanity in Northern Zone

November 10, 2016

Norte.jpgVictims’ relatives continue to seek justice 20 years later. Photo@SIPAZ

On October 22, victims’ relatives and survivors of the “counterinsurgency strategy operated in the northern zone of Chiapas” met in the community of Susuclumil, Tila municipality, to denounce “the lack of justice for crimes against humanity Committed by the paramilitary group Peace and Justice (Paz y Justicia), with the complicity and responsibility of the Mexican State.”

The Fray Bartolomé de Las Casas Center for Human Rights, (CDHFBC, also known as Frayba) recalls in its press bulletin No. 21 that with the emergence of the Zapatista Army of National Liberation (EZLN), on January 1, 1994, violence increased in the northern zone. It explains that the Mexican State implemented a strategy of counterinsurgency war against the civilian population, through the Chiapas Campaign ’94 plan, with the objective of eliminating support bases of the Zapatista Army of National Liberation. From 1995 to 1999, paramilitary groups responsible for crimes against humanity were formed: “In the north of Chiapas, paramilitary groups such as the Peace and Justice Development Organization (Paz y Justicia) appeared, with the training and protection of different levels of government, and who between 1995 and 1999 systematically committed serious human rights violations. “

The CDHFBC recorded a total of “22 cases of serious human rights violations in the north, of which 37 were forced disappearances and 85 extrajudicial executions and more than 4,500 people were forcefully displaced, followed by arbitrary detention, torture, sexual torture, harassment, intimidation, destruction of property, among others, committed by the paramilitary group Peace and Justice.”

Victims’ relatives and survivors continue to denounce, “constant harassment, intimidation and persecution with unjust arrest warrants and subpoenas, with threats of fines, by the justice administration system in Chiapas.” They request that the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR) continue its monitoring and determine the responsibility of the Mexican State for human rights violations committed in the context of the Internal Armed Conflict.

For more information in Spanish:

Sucuclumil conmemoración de la memoria ( Centro de Derechos Humanos Fray Bartolomé de Las Casas, a 21 de octubre de 2016)

Estado mexicano responsable de crímenes de lesa humanidad (Chiapas Denuncia, a 26 de octubre de 2016)

For more information from SIPAZ:

Chiapas: Amenazas de muerte a defensor comunitario (23 de septiembre de 2016)

Chiapas: Conmemoración por las y los asesinados y desaparecidos durante conflicto en la zona baja de Tila (22 de septiembre de 2015)

Chiapas: Evento “Corazón de memoria, sembrando en nuestro territorio” en Masoja Shucjá, Tila (03 de noviembre de 2014)


Chiapas: La Sexta in San Sebastian Bachajon Receive New Threats

November 8, 2016

bachajon

Ejidatarios from San Sebastian Bachajon at a press conference in El Paliacate, October 27, 2016. Photo@SIPAZ

At a press conference on October 27 last, ejidatarios from San Sebastián Bachajón, adherents to the Sixth Declaration of the Lacandon Jungle of the EZLN, denounced the threats that its authorities have recently been receiving, “including compañero Domingo Perez Alvaro, human rights promoter of La Sexta, ejido Bachajón, and other authorities.” They explained that there are threats of arrest or abduction  the ejidal commissariat C. Manuel Guzman Alvaro’s people, and were informed by third aprties that, “compañero Domingo Perez Alvaro is first on the list of threats and then the other authorities of La Sexta”.

The San Sebastian Bachajon ejidatarios blamed the ejidal commissariat Manuel Guzman Alvaro for these threats. They pointed out that while Guzman Alvaro, as a candidate, had announced that he would defend the village lands and would respect the organization of  La Sexta in Bachajón, “so far [he] has not fulfilled and respected his word, because his actions are the complete opposite.”

For more information in Spanish:

COMUNICADO: EJIDO SAN SEBASTIAN BACHAJON ADHERENTES A LA SEXTA DECLARACION DE LA SELVA LACANDONA. CHIAPAS, MEXICO. A 20 DE OCTUBRE 2016. (Koman Ilel, 21 de octubre de 2016)

San Sebastián Bachajón: La Lucha contra el despojo (Desinformémonos, a 29 de octubre 2016)

For more information from SIPAZ:

Chiapas: Ejidatarios de San Sebastián Bachajón denuncian agresiones a uno de sus integrantes y nuevas amenazas

Chiapas: Homenaje a Juan Vázquez Guzmán a tres años de su asesinato

Chiapas: Conmemoran 2 años desde el asesinato de Juan Vázquez Guzmán en San Sebastián Bachajón