Chiapas: Emilio Jimenez Gomez, Prisoner from San Sebastian Bachajon, Released

March 26, 2017

PresosLogo @: VivaBachajon WordPress

On March 16, Emilio Jimenez Gomez, an ejidatario from San Sebastian Bachajon and adherent to the Sixth Declaration of the Lacandon Jungle (the Sixth), was released from prison. He was imprisoned in Playas de Catazaja, Chiapas (CERSS # 17) for two years and eight months.

According to the “No Estamos Todxs” working group, “he was identified by PRI members from the Xanil community for an assault on a foreigner but the same foreigner said that the compañero was not the person who assaulted him. The PRI took him prisoner to Playas de Catazaja with the complicity of the preventative state police.” Likewise, the adherents to the Sixth of San Sebastian Bachajon, in their last statement, assured that Emilio Jimenez Gomez had been arrested for fight against dispossession in the Agua Azul Waterfalls.

In the same statement, they recalled that two other ejidatarios were still “kidnapped by the state”, Esteban Gomez Jimenez, prisoner in San Cristobal de Las Casas, Chiapas, (CERSS # 5) and Santiago Moreno Perez, prisoner in Playas de Catazaja, Chiapas (CERSS # 17). They denounced that they were also arrested “in an arbitrary manner, for defending their natural resources…for raising their voices and defending life and territory.”

For more information in Spanish:

Libre uno de tres ejidatarios, que luchan contra el despojo en Cascadas de Agua Azul, Bachajón, Chiapas (VivaBachajon WordPress, 18 de marzo de 2018)
Emilio Jiménez Gómez (Grupo de trabajo « No estamos todxs »)

 


Oaxaca/Chiapas: Civil Observation and Solidarity Caravan in Los Chimalapas

March 25, 2017

Chimalapas.pngCivil Observation and Solidarity Caravan to Los Chimalapas (@NVI Noticias)

On March 18 and 19, a motorized Civil Observation Caravan in solidarity with Nuevo San Andres visited the village in the Chimalapas region where, on 24 February last, nine villagers suffered attacks, illegal deprivation of liberty and violence from the so-called “Chamula Army”. About 20 people, including community members from Santa Maria Chimalapa, civil and social organizations as well as members of the Human Rights Ombudsman of the People of Oaxaca (DDHPO in its Spanish acronym) participated in this caravan.

About 100 people from 20 Tsotsil families from the Chiapas Highlands form the community of Nuevo San Andres, founded six years ago. Since the February aggression, they are practically living under siege for fear of being attacked again. Echoing their testimonies, the Caravan denounced the lack of actions by the federal and state governments to address the problems that endanger these families from Chiapas but installed in Oaxacan communal territory. 

Miguel Angel Garcia Aguirre, representative of the caravan, said that for more than 60 years indigenous communities have been confronted in this region of the Isthmus by border conflicts between Oaxaca, Chiapas and Veracruz. The regional coordinator of the Committee for the Defense and Conservation of Chimalapa said that “we can not allow them to continue to live violence, we regret that the government of Oaxaca has not granted precautionary measures, we are waiting for the resolution of the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR), it is urgent that this case be addressed.”

 For more information in Spanish:

Peligran chiapanecos en los Chimalapas (La Jornada, 21 de marzo de 2017)

Nuevo San Andrés vive con miedo; abandonados por el Gobierno (NVI Noticias, 21 de marzo de 2017)

Conoce caravana humanitaria condiciones de olvido en Nuevo San Andrés (Radio Formula, 20 de marzo de 2017)

Olvidan Chiapas y Oaxaca a pobladores de Nuevo San Andrés (Quadratin, 20 de marzo de 2017)
Comuneros y ONG´s emprenden caravana de solidaridad con los chimalapas (La Jornada, 18 de marzo de 2017)

For more information from SIPAZ:

Oaxaca/Chiapas: Agresión armada en los Chimalapas deja heridos (2 de marzo de 2017)

Chiapas/Oaxaca: Caravana de Observación Civil y Solidaridad por los Chimalapas (14 de enero de 2016)

Oaxaca/Chiapas: nuevo enfrentamiento en los Chimalapas deja dos heridos y 4 detenidos. (21 de mayo de 2015)

 

 


Oaxaca: Isthmus Inhabitants Seek Injunction against Special Economic Zones (SEZ)

March 25, 2017

SEZ.pngAPOYO Press Conference Photo@EDUCA

On March 16, organizations from 11 municipalities from the Tehuantepec Isthmus filed a collective injunction as indigenous peoples against the Special Economic Zones (SEZ). More than 1,800 people from the Binniza, Ikoots, Mixe, Chontal and Zoque villages, which form part of the Network of Indigenous Peoples of the Oaxacan Isthmus in Defense of Territory (APOYO in its Spanish acronym), signed the injunction. In a press conference on March 17, they reported that “the regional collective injunction filed yesterday aims to protect the rights of indigenous peoples of the Tehuantepec Isthmus, regarding the infrastructure that is intended to be built on their territories without consultation and without obtaining their free, prior and informed consent, for the start of another stage of installation of more wind farms in the region.”

A member of APOYO recalled that, “for several years we have seen how we have had wind farms imposed in our communities that have seriously affected our life, culture and natural resources violating the fabric of our community.” And now the “Federal government has authorized the construction of infrastructure for a second phase of wind expansion in the Isthmus.”

It was also stated that the second phase of wind farms is “arriving in an imposed manner and in the same way as the first phase with promises of development and growth.” It was concluded that the second phase of wind development is the spearhead of the SEZ, which “is characterized by very specific laws and regulations that violate the individual and collective rights of communities.”

For more information in Spanish:

Se amparan pueblos del Istmo contra Zona Económica Especial (EDUCA, 17 de marzo de 2017)

Comunicado: COMUNICADO DE PRENSA DE LA ARTICULACION DE PUEBLOS ORIGINARIOS DEL ISTMO OAXAQUENO EN DEFENSA DEL TERRITORIO (APOYO) (17 de marzo de 2017)

Contacto de APOYO: articulaciondepueblos@gmail.com

PARQUES EÓLICOS: LA CARA DEL DESPOJO EN EL ISTMO DE TEHUANTEPEC (Sin Embargo, 1 de abril de 2015)

 For more information from SIPAZ:

Oaxaca: comunidades del Istmo presentan amparo ante la ZEE (noviembre de 2016)

Nacional: el Senado aprueba la Ley Federal de Zonas Económicas Especiales (ZEE) (15 de abril de 2016)


National: CNI Denounces that “The War against its Peoples” Continues

March 14, 2017

CNI.pngPhoto @ SipazOn

March 9, the National Indigenous Congress (CNI) published a communiqué denouncing that while they continue to organize themselves towards “the formation of an Indigenous Council of Government (…) the dispossession and repression from the bad governments on its three levels continues to act against our Mother Earth, our peoples and our autonomous organizations. “

 The CNI again gives various examples of repression being suffered by indigenous peoples, among others, the acts of violence that occurred in the state of Oaxaca against the community of San Francisco del Mar, Tehuantepec Isthmus region “to impose the approval of wind projects involving the dispossession of an important part of common land of this community and would seriously affect its rich and delicate ecosystem.” This region is a vital place for thousands of fishermen and fishing is the source of food for the entire population. “If the project was approved, it would mean taking away their right to their source of life and livelihood.” The CNI stated that, “this is an integral plan of dispossession of the territories of the communities of the Isthmus to fulfill the megaprojects they intend to impose in the region with the so-called Tehuantepec Isthmus Special Economic Zone (SEZ).”

It also lashed out against the armed forces of “bad government that have acted in unison with the criminal gangs and particularly against the indigenous community of Santa María Ostula” in the state of Michoacan, where 34 comuneros have been killed and at least 5 are disappeared. It again demanded “the punishment of the responsible military and politicians, the cancellation of arrest warrants against Ostula commanders and the Sierra Costa region, the presentation of the disappeared alive, and absolute respect for the communal territory of Ostula.”

Finally, the CNI demanded the immediate release of the unjustly imprisoned indigenous ñhañhú Raymundo Pascual Garcia, originally from San Ildefonso, Amealco, in the state of Queretaro, who was arrested for participating with his community in the mobilizations against the “gasolinazo“.

 For more information in Spanish:

Comunicado del Congreso Nacional Indígena del 9 de marzo de 2017 (Enlace Zapatista, 9 de marzo de 2017)

Pescadores rechazan proyecto eólico en San Francisco del Mar (Istmo Press, 7 de marzo de 2017)

Comunicado “Una historia para tratar de Entender (Enlace Zapatista, , 17 de noviembre de 2016)

Lo importante es la insumisión, no ganar la presidencia con candidata indígena: EZLN (Proceso, 17 de noviembre de 2016)

For more information from SIPAZ:

Chiapas/Nacional : Candidata presidencial “no es decisión de una persona” (Subcomandante Moíses) (15 de noviembre de 2016)

Chiapas /Nacional: Polémica después de la propuesta planteada por el EZLN y el CNI en octubre (24 de octubre de 2016)

Chiapas / Nacional : CNI y EZLN realizarán consulta para nombrar a una candidata indígena hacia las elecciones presidenciales de 2018 (15 de octubre de 2016)

 

 

 


International/Chiapas: International Women’s Day

March 14, 2017

IWD1.pngWomen’s March in San Cristobal de Las Casas on International Women’s Day, March 8, 2017. Photo: @Sipaz

On 8 March, in the context of International Women’s Day, women held two marches in which they demanded “justice for women, punishment of officials who do not fulfill their duty and effective investigation of all allegations of violence as well as cases of femicide” in San Cristobal de Las Casas. Rocio Garcia of San Cristobal de Las Casas Women’s Group A.C. (COLEM in its Spanish acronym) made a “call to women not to be silent, to denounce and demand their rights.” She pointed out that the problem of violence against women has intensified: “in 2016 there were 138 women [who died] by violent death, of which 65% have been classed as femicides, we are talking about [the fact] that there are 89 registered cases in the year 2016.” The Fourth Assembly for the Defense of the Earth, Territory and for the Participation of Women in Decision-making also denounced “the way in which the State and the death system shows their different faces in their war of extermination against peoples, men and especially against women.”

IWD2.pngWomen from Las Abejas de Acteal Civil Society Organization, handing over a letter to soldiers

For their part, the women from Las Abejas de Acteal Civil Society Organization also made a march during which, in a pacifist action, two representatives entered the military barracks of the area and handed the soldiers a letter asking them to leave their lands: “We do not come to harm you, we as women only want peace, so we tell you that we do not want you to be on our territory.” They reminded them that, “the Mexican Army trained and armed the paramilitaries who massacred 45 sisters and brothers our four babies who were not yet born and were violently removed from the womb of their mothers.”

After the march, the women read a statement in which they declared to celebrate that “every day there are more conscious women who defend their rights.” They denounced, among other things, the impunity and injustices of “the Acteal massacre (…) of the massive deportations of migrant workers (…) of the disappearance of the compañeros from Ayotzinapa.” They rejected the increase in “welfare projects and government programs that only cause division in communities”, and the distribution of chemicals “that in some cases have caused the death of the campesinos, just like the death of our mother earth.” They rejected the “gasolinazo” [increase in combustible prices]. They demanded the closure of bars “that every day become a problem causing family violence, illness and suicides.”

 For more information in Spanish:

Pronunciamiento de la Campaña Permanente contra la Violencia hacia las Mujeres y el feminicidio en Chiapas (CDH Fray Bartolomé de las Casas, a 9 de marzo de 2017)

Ong declararán a San Cristóbal de las Casas “ciudad insegura e impune” durante el Paro Internacional de Mujeres #8M (M-X, a 7 de marzo de 2017)

Pronunciamiento de la Cuarta Asamblea del Movimiento en Defensa de la Tierra, el Territorio y por la participación de las Mujeres en la toma de decisiones (8 de marzo de 2017)

“Nos están matando en medio de la permisibilidad”: un acercamiento a la violencia hacia las mujeres (CDH Fray Bartolomé de las Casas, a 8 de marzo de 2017)

En este año 2017 todavía no podemos celebrar que sean respetados todos nuestros derechos porque no es así. ( Las Abejas de Acteal, 8 de marzo de 2018)

 For more information from SIPAZ:

Chiapas: Sigue la violencia hacia las mujeres (24 de febrero de 2017)

Chiapas: Mujeres marchan contra los feminicidios (7 de noviembre de 2016)

Chiapas: Día Internacional de Lucha contra la Violencia hacia las Mujeres (28 de noviembre de 2016)


Chiapas: Banavil Displaced Families Remember the Death of Antonia Lopez Luna

March 5, 2017

banavil(@CDHFBC)

From 21-23 February, displaced families from Banavil, Tenejapa municipality, temporarily returned to their homes to visit the tomb of Antonia Lopez Mendez, the daughter of one of the families, who died in conditions of forced displacement on February 21, 2015, at the age of 11.

In a statement, they complained that in the five years and two months they have been displaced, the government has not worried about “the suffering of other children who are displaced in the city of San Cristobal de Las Casas” and that “like Antonia, there are many girls, children killed, because of bad government and they have not clarified or investigated, as with the children massacred in Acteal.”

 For more information in Spanish:

Pronunciamiento de las familias desplazadas de Banavil (20 de febrero de 2017)

Los desplazados de Chiapas, entre la impunidad y la fe en el papa (Animal Político, a 16 de febrero de 2016)

 For more information from SIPAZ:

Chiapas: Desplazados de Banavil siguen exigiendo justicia tras 5 años de desplazamiento forzado

Chiapas: Familias desplazadas de Banavil anuncian retorno provisional a su comunidad para el día de muertos

Chiapas: Inauguración de exposición fotográfica de familias desplazadas de Banavil

Chiapas: Desplazados y desplazadas de Banavil, 4 años de impunidad

Chiapas: Retorno provisional de las familias desplazadas de Banavil para Día de Muertos

 

 

 


Oaxaca: Communities Affected by “San José” Mining Project Occupy SEMARNAT Offices

March 5, 2017

Communities affected by mining project occcupy SEMARNAT Photo @EDUCA

On February 28, commissions from various communities of the Ocotlan Valley United People’s Coordinator (COPUVO) and the Magdalena Ocotlan Defense Committee against Mining, demanded a halt to the work of the Fortuna Silver Mines (FSM) mining company in a demonstration at the headquarters of the Ministry of the Environment and Natural Resources (SEMARNAT). They managed to be received by the SEMARNAT delegate, Tomas Gonzalez Illescas, who assured them that the body that he directs “has not granted any permission to the mining company and that therefore the establishment of an investigation would correspond to the Federal Attorney for Environmental Protection (PROFEPA) and, if applicable, sanctions that could lead to the cancellation of the concession.” For their part, a representative of the community of San Martin de los Cansecos warned: “The communities and ejidos are organizing, and we will not allow them to make explorations and expand the mining project.”

It should be noted that since 2014 the mining company FSM, through its subsidiary Cuzcatlan, “carries out illegal exploration for the “San José” mining project, as SEMARNAT has assured that it has not granted permits for these actions.” For this reason, on November 8, 2015, at a regional assembly, their territories were declared free of mining and they decided not to allow any exploration and mining work on their ejidos. In spite of this, on November 24 last, “the WSF company proposed a technical study to SEMARNAT with the objective of conducting direct mining explorations in zones of agricultural use within the mining concession Progreso II.” The area where the mining company intends to conduct explorations is also an area for recharging aquifers, so permitting exploration permits constitutes a serious environmental threat. Faced with such a situation, the affected communities submitted a letter to SEMARNAT on December 1, “demanding that said authority deny authorization … because of the impact that such work would have on our communities”, which has not yet received a response.

 For more information in Spanish:

NIEGAN SEMARNAT Y PROFEPA PROTEGER TERRITORIOS EN OCOTLÁN Y EJUTLA FRENTE A PROYECTO MINERO (EDUCA, 28 de febrero de 2017)

Toman SEMARNAT comunidades afectadas por proyecto minero San José (EDUCA, 28 de febrero de 2017)

Denuncian zapotecos indolencia oficial frente al avance de proyectos mineros en Oaxaca (Proceso, 28 de febrero de 2017)

 For more information from SIPAZ:

Oaxaca: A 3 años del asesinato de Bernardo Vásquez, Fortuna Silver espera mayores ganancias (26 de mayo de 2015)

Oaxaca: presentan el informe “Justicia para San José del Progreso” (11 de marzo de 2014)

Oaxaca: Misión Civil de Observación a San José del Progreso (Noviembre de 2012)

Oaxaca: Asesinato del vocero de la Coordinadora de los Pueblos Unidos del Valle de Ocotlán (17 de marzo de 2012)