National/Guerrero: Nine months after the Ayotzinapa atrocity, relatives express that they will not be silenced

July 3, 2015

9meses

@LaJornada

On 26 June, nine months after the forcible disappearance of the 43 students from the Rural Normal School of Ayotzinapa, Guerrero, parents of the youth and other groups mobilized in Mexico City, carrying out a rally and an artistic event of 43 hours in length that included poetry-readings and theater next to the Bellas Artes (Fine Arts) Palace. Felipe de la Cruz, the spokesperson for the movement of relatives of the disappeared, said that “just as we have remained firm from the beginning, so will we continue until our youth appear with life.” “We tell you, State, and we say to you that we will be the pebble in your shoe, because we are not going to be silent, and we are not going to stop on our path […]. We will not stop struggling until our sons are presented with life,” said another relative of the disappeared. Also in Chilpancingo, Guerrero, many social organizations united their demands toward the presentation with life of the youth, and they took to the streets to demand justice. Using slogans such as “Down with the State!” and “Investigate the military!” protestors also carried banners denouncing military harassment and educational reforms.

On 17 June, Proceso reported that one of the 43 disappeared students was an active soldier. Previously, a journalist had requested information from the Ministry for National Defense (SEDENA) inquiring into whether any of the disappeared students had been an active soldier. According to the editors, this approach had to do with “a line of investigation regarding the degree of infiltration o the State within the Raúl Isidro Burgos Rural Normal School, which is considered by the political authorities to be a ‘fountain of guerrilleros.” SEDENA responded by saying that “we have found one person whose name corresponds to one of the 42 disappeared students from the Isidro Burgos Rural Normal School, following your request; however, the name is classified to protect personal data.” Amidst this revelation, relatives of the disappeared stressed that this “shows clearly the military’s responsibility” in the case. Subsequently, on 26 June, personnel from the Federal Attorney General’s Office (PGR) visited the municipal landfill of Cocula, where in October of last year a clandestine mass-grave was discovered. Beyond this, the command of the Iguala Preventive Police was shuttered, with no further information provided regarding the aim sought by this move.

For more information (in Spanish):

No nos vamos a callar”: familiares a 9 meses del caso Ayotzinapa (CNN México, 26 de junio de 2015)

Manifestantes marchan en Guerrero a 9 meses de caso Ayotzinapa(Informador.mx, 26 de junio de 2015)

Personal de PGR acude a basurero de Cocula a 9 meses del caso Ayotzinapa (Proceso, 17 de junio de 2015)

A nueve meses de su desaparición, padres de normalistas dicen: “está muy cerca la verdad” (Proceso, 27 de junio de 2015)

Personal de PGR acude a basurero de Cocula a 9 meses del caso Ayotzinapa (CNN México, 26 de junio de 2015)

For more information from SIPAZ (in English):

Chiapas/Guerrero: Delegation of relatives and comrades of Ayotzinapa students tour CNI communities (29 June 2015)

Guerrero/National: 8 months after the forcible disappearance of the 43 students from the Rural Normal School of Ayotzinapa, there is no progress (9 June 2015)

Guerrero: Ayotzinapa – seven months of impunity and struggling for justice (3 May 2015)

Guerrero: IACHR experts confirm that the Ayotzinapa case is a forcible disappearance and a crime against humanity (10 April 2015)


Guerrero: Twenty years since the Aguas Blancas massacre, justice is demanded

July 2, 2015

@JornadaUNAM

@JornadaUNAM

28 June marked 20 years since the murder of 17 campesino members of the Campesino Organization of the Southern Sierra (OCSS) and the injuring of 23 others by Guerrero state police. To date, no one has been arrested for the massacre that left behind widows and orphans and led to the resignation of the state governor. Over the course of these years, the relatives have demanded justice for the murder, but the only advance in the case was the resignation of Guerrero state governor at the time, Rubén Figueroa Alcocer, from the PRI.

In 2008, the defense counsel for the widows of Aguas Blancas, José Sánchez, submitted to the Secretary for Governance a motion in which he requests the speeding-up of the investigations and the reconstruction of the acts involving the ambush of the campesinos. “There are no advances in the investigation being carried out by the Federal Attorney General’s Office against Figueroa for these acts. The case has not been referred to a federal judge, and no sentence has been made. This genocide continues to go unpunished, with no compensation for the victims,” the lawyer lamented.

About a thousand people marched on 28 June in Aguas Blancas, Coyuca de Benítez municipality, to commemorate the massacre and to continue demanding justice. This commemoration brought together the struggles of Ayotzinapa and Aguas Blancas. There were claims made, as well pain and activist calls shared between the social movements, in addition to condemnations over the lack of results and ongoing injustice.

For more information (in Spanish):

Marchan en Coyuca a 20 años de la matanza de Aguas Blancas (La Jornada Guerrero, 29 de junio de 2015)

Recuerdan la masacre de Aguas Blancas (La Jornada, 29 de junio de 2015)

Aguas Blancas, un genocidio que aún espera justicia en México (CNN México, 28 de junio de 2015)

For more information from SIPAZ (in English):

Guerrero: 18th anniversary of the Aguas Blancas massacre (19 July 2014)

Guerrero: 17th anniversary of the Aguas Blancas massacre (10 July 2012)

Guerrero: Solidarity marches 16 years after the Aguas Blancas massacre (17 July 2011)


Guerrero/National: Nestora Salgado, newly accused

June 29, 2015

(@Revolución tres punto cero)

(@Revolución tres punto cero)

Nestora Salgado García, the ex-commander from the Communal Police (PC) of Olinalá, has been told by the Guerrero State Attorney General that she now faces three additional charges, including kidnapping, robbery, and homicide. Her attorney, Sandino Rivero, reported that her new accusers are unknown, and that the identity of the presumed murder victims is also unknown. The charges are still informal, but they will soon be applied against her. Furthermore, he adds that these three new charges were not detailed in her original arrest on 21 August 2013, nearly two years ago. According to CIMAC News, the defense counsel’s analysis is that the State Attorney “had been keeping” these other charges, thus indicating that its office would not desist, despite the calls made by the Guerrero State Governor, Rogelio Ortega.

The PC ex-commander has been imprisoned on three charges of kidnapping of people who were being re-educated at the Justice House in El Paraíso. She is presently being held in the Center for Social Readaptation in Tepepan, where she had been transferred after a hunger-strike that lasted 31 days, one she undertook to demand her transfer and that of her PC comrades who are also imprisoned. Until 29 May, she had been held in the high-security prison in Tepic, Nayarit, 1,100 kilometers from her land of origin.

According to the “Sin Embargo” media, beyond having raised consciousness about irregularities in the health center and promoting unions in Olinalá to re-educational campaigns, Salgado revealed that, before her arrest, she had shown several officials videos evidencing the rapes of children. These authorities then went to an Admiral of the Navy, a General from the Secretary for National Defense (SEDENA), and the then-governor, Ángel Aguirre Rivero, who then committed himself to referring the matter to the Federal Attorney General (PGR), but in the end nothing was investigated. Nestora holds that she surely disturbed powerful interests with her denunciations of these cases of the rapes of children, with this being the actual reason she has been imprisoned.

In an interview with Proceso, she adds that “they are hurt that I have told them that the system is corrupt; they are trying to bury my voice, which was heard.” She assures that the system has failed everyone. “If I am released, as I hope I will (it must be this way), or if I must give my life for this struggle, I will do it. I will not be silent; I am not afraid. I am someone who believes in the systematic re-education of the people (of the CRAC), and I believe we can indeed change many things—not just in Guerrero, but throughout the country.”

For more information (in Spanish):

La delincuencia nos respetó, el que quiso destruirnos fue el gobierno”: Nestora Salgado (Proceso, 22 de junio de 2015)

Ahora Fiscalía de Guerrero acusa a Nestora Salgado de homicidio(Cimac Noticias, 19 de junio de 2015)

Nestora revela que mostró a jefes militares y a Aguirre videos de abuso a menores (Sin Embargo, 22 de junio de 2015)

A punto de ser liberada, la ex comandanta Nestora Salgado acusada de secuestro, robo y homicido, nuevamente (Revolución tres punto cero, 22 de junio de 2015)

For more information from SIPAZ (in English):

Guerrero/National: Nestora Salgado is transferred to a Mexico City prison (10 June 2015)

Guerrero: Still on hunger strike, Nestora Salgado continues to hope for transfer as her health declines (9 June 2015)

Guerrero: political prisoner Nestora Salgado, coordinator of the Communal Police of Olinalá, begins hunger strike (16 May 2015)

Guerrero: IACHR calls on Mexican government to guarantee medical attention to Nestora Salgado (8 February 2015)


Guerrero: One year since the arrest of the CECOP leader, Marco Antonio Suastégui

June 29, 2015

Photo @Pueblo Guerrero

Members of the Council of Ejidos and Communities Opposed to the La Parota Dam (CECOP) protested on 17 June at the offices of the Judiciary in Acapulco, where they demanded that authorities from the three levels of government immediately release their leader Marco Antonio Suástegui, alleging his innocence, with this being the reason they will not rest until he is free. Marco Antonio Suástegui, who has been imprisoned for a year, founded the Communal Police in the Common Lands of Cacahuatepec, and for years he opposed the La Parota hydroelectric dam project. Upon the completion of a year since the arrest of the CECOP leader, the Tlachinollan Mountain Center for Human Rights urged the Superior Tribunal for State Justice, based in Acapulco, to resolve the three appeals that have been presented against the prison sentence. The organization denounced that the Tribunal “has delayed its decisions on the appeals for no reason, thus prolonging the process.” It also said that the motions against imprisonment demonstrated violations to due process, including the fact that, at the time that Suastégui declared himself, he was not allowed to have an attorney present.

For more information (in Spanish):

Protestan integrantes de la CECOP; piden la libertad de Marco Antonio Suástegui (Bajo Palabra, 17 de junio de 2015)

Ha dilatado las decisiones sobre los recursos de apelación en el caso de Marco Antonio Suástegui sin fundamento alguno, retrasando el proceso, acusó Tlachinollan (Pueblo Guerrero, 18 de junio de 2015)

CECOP protesta en el poder Judicial en Acapulco (Pueblo Guerrero, 17 de junio de 2015)

Video Libertad para Marco Antonio Suastégui (Tlachinollan)

Caso la Parota (Tlachinollan)

For more information from SIPAZ (in English):

Guerrero: return of CECOP spokesperson to Guerrero prison (23 April 2015)

Guerrero: The Navy has tried to arrest him, denounces brother of CECOP spokesperson (30 December 2014)

Guerrero: Attack on CECOP members leaves 5 dead (6 December 2014)


SIPAZ: Documenting 20 years of peacebuilding in Mexico

June 23, 2015

DSCF4824

SIPAZ is celebrating its 20th anniversary!

Support our crowdfunding campaign

SIPAZ was founded in 1995 as an international team of volunteers to reconstruct peace in the communities in the mountains of Chiapas. Today, we want to share the fruits of our work through a documentary film that showcases our experiences of 20 years of active non-violence in the south of Mexico. The women and men who appear in the film are indigenous campesinos from the southern states of Chiapas, Oaxaca and Guerrero who share their strengths and weaknesses, as well as the difficulties they face as peacemakers in their rural communities. The film will be showcased during a day of celebrations in November.

Click here to learn more about the makings of the film and get enthusiastic to support us financially!

You can also contribute your donation:

– Through Indiegogo by creditcard (Visa/Mastercard)
– Through Paypal:
http://sipaz.org/en/what-is-sipaz/how-can-you-help-us.html
– Or by sending a cheque (mentioning “crowdfunding campaign”) to:
SIPAZ INC
P.O. BOX 20067
STANFORD, CA 94309, EEUU


Guerrero/National: 8 months after the forcible disappearance of the 43 students from the Rural Normal School of Ayotzinapa, there is no progress

June 9, 2015

Ayotzinapa, 8 meses (@Radio Pozol)

Ayotzinapa, 8 months on (@Radio Pozol)

26 May 2015 marked 8 months since the forcible disappearance of the 43 students from the Rural Normal School of Ayotzinapa in Iguala, Guerrero. Relatives of the disappeared continue to declare that they will “neither forget nor forgive.” As on each 26 of every month, thousands organized themselves to protest and demand justice. Manifestations were held in small communities and large cities throughout Mexico and the world to demand the appearance with life of the 43 students.

In Mexico City, parents and those in solidarity marched from four points of the city, converging on the Zócalo. At the end of the march, protestors lit electoral propaganda on fire, leading to a confrontation between some of the dissidents and the police. This confrontation resulted in one arrest.

Two weeks before the elections, parents of the disappeared called on civil society not to vote in the 7 June elections. Felipe de la Cruz, spokesperson for the relatives, said, “We as parents have decided not to vote. We say no to the elections.” In a communique from the “Raúl Isidro Burgos” Rural Normal School of Ayotzinapa, current students shared that “beyond being well-known that the electoral process has been infiltrated by criminals who seek only to continue looting our country within this context of inequality, poverty, violence, lack of security, and illiteracy that dishonorably affects a large part of the Mexican populace, the political parties have victimized our people.”

Presently, the relatives are separated among different parts of the world. On 19 May 2015 the European solidarity caravan for Ayotzinapa ended after visiting 18 cities over 34 days, while on 28 May, the “Caravan 43 South America” arrived in Uruguay to “globalize resistance.” The “Caravan 43 South America” began on 16 May in Córdoba, Argentina, and will end on 12 June in Río de Janeiro, Brazil.

For more information (in Spanish):

Palabras de los normalistas de Ayotzinapa, a ocho meses de la desaparición forzada de 43 de sus compañeros (26 de mayo de 2015)

A dos semanas de las elecciones, padres de Ayotzinapa insisten en boicot electoral (Animal Político, 26 de mayo de 2015)

A 8 meses de Ayotzinapa, la protesta social se diluye y los padres piden: “No nos dejen solos”

(Sin Embargo, 27 de mayo de 2015)

Movilizaciones en el DF por la XII Acción Global por Ayotzinapa (La Jornada, 26 de mayo de 2015)

For more information from SIPAZ (in English):

Guerrero/International: Eurocaravan for Ayotzinapa prohibited from protesting in front of Mexican embassy in Spain (7 June 2015)

Guerrero: Ayotzinapa – seven months of impunity and struggling for justice (3 May 2015)

Guerrero/International: Brigade for Ayotzinapa travels to Europe (24 April 2015)

Guerrero: IACHR experts confirm that the Ayotzinapa case is a forcible disappearance and a crime against humanity (10 April 2015)


Guerrero: Armed men attack security guard at the offices of the El Sur newspaper

June 9, 2015

Elsur

During the night of 18 May, the security guard who was working in the offices of the El Sur newspaper was attacked by two armed men, who insistently asked him about the “manager” of the paper. El Sur presented a denunciation before the Public Ministry to register the attack and act of intimidation. According to the declaration, a week previously, a white Tsuru vehicle lacking plates had been installed some meters from the office’s location.

During the first few days of May, corresponding to the launch of electoral campaigns, Article 19, which favors freedom of speech, documented an attack on journalists each 10.6 hours in Mexico. Guerrero is the most violent state in these terms, having registered 16 of the 34 cases that have been denounced.

For more information (in Spanish):

Temporada electoral, una agresión contra la prensa cada 10.6 horas (Artículo 19, 19 de mayo de 2015)

Agreden hombres armados a un guardia de las oficinas de El Sur tras preguntar por “el gerente” (El Sur, 20 de mayo de 2015)

Guerrero, primer lugar nacional en agresiones a periodistas con 16 de 34 casos (Revolución 3.0, 20 de mayo de 2015)

For more information from SIPAZ (in English):

Guerrero: Police beat journalists during protests for Ayotzinapa (6 December 2014)

Guerrero: denunciation of intimidation against Proceso correspondent in the state (2 September 2014)

Guerrero: Attack by governor’s bodyguard on journalist from El Sur (2 May 2014)

National: Harassment of home of director of Article 19 shortly before publication of report “Dissent in silence: violence against the press and criminalization of protest, Mexico 2013″ (28 March 2014)


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 955 other followers